July 3, 2007

Supermarket dating

The Philosopher and I love going grocery shopping. It's like a date. We snuggle and giggle and debate and are (according to our friends) disgustingly cute. I've never understood how shopping can be a chore for people. There is so much stuff in a supermarket! I never truly realised until I worked in one exactly how much though - spak filler, toothpaste that stops hunger pangs (seriously! it's mostly caffeine), a thousand things.

Gluten Free Girl got heaps of comments, some very angry, some agreeing, when she confessed to making judgements about people based on the contents of their shopping trolley. I now put my hand up to say, I do it all the time, and when I was working in a supermarket I did it for up to 8 hours a day. Yes, each assessment is probably entirely wrong since it's only based on the food they are buying. It may not even be for them. Their dying mother may have asked them to go shopping for them. I don't know.

Last night The Philosopher and I went on a large shop to resupply us in, well, almost everything. Looking at the food at the checkout, I laughed. We eat like "crazy hippy types" (as my grandpa would say) - but with red meat. What was in our trolley?

Beef roast
Mince
Bonsoy (truly THE BEST soymilk out there. Made by Japanese soy masters.)
Amaranth cereal (high in protein and fibre, I shall use it to sprinkle on my GF cornflakes. I'm not too certain how it would be on its own.)
GF corn flakes with psyllium (again, more fibre!)
Organic firm tofu (well, we didn't intentionally get organic, but it's all they had)
Granny Smith apples (for making poached apple something or other mmmm)
Greek yoghurt (for the apple concoction)
Beans beans beans in tins. Chickpeas, red beans, bean mix. (chickpeas for roasting or curry, red beans and mixed beans for chilli and tacos)
Bamboo shoots
Spring onion
Diced tomatoes in tins (pasta sauce, chilli, soup, whatever we decide, they go in almost everything)
Rice vermicelli
Pad thai sauce
White corn tortillas possibly made by Diegos (don't taste that great unless made into enchiladas. NOT recommended as burittos! Unfortunately they are the only brand I can find that are made with only corn.)
Heinz rice puddings in little tins (great for hiding in my desk at work for emergency lunches, breakfasts, snacks, quite fillign for their size and keep well)

Out of all that? Well, last night it was pad thai with chicken and tofu. The Philosopher is now inspired to make his own sauce since I found the jarred stuff a touch too spicy. But not too spicy to prevent me from eating leftovers for lunch!

The rest? Already a roast beef with potatoes is planned. A pasta bolognese for when friends drop by later in the week. A chickpea curry.

Tonight? Well, since I'm on my own, perhaps I'll be bad and have a GF muffin! Blueberry and choc chip, made with a mix by Well and Good. So far the best mix I've found, though I'm only two into my search so far. The best thing about this one is that you add any flavourings yourself so you can keep a bag on hand to make whatever flavour muffin you're craving!

Deprivation is in the mind and I do not feel deprived. Especially when I fork up that last mouthful of spicy tofu. Especially when I get that muffin straight out of the oven and bite into it, having molten chocolate ooze into my mouth. Even when I eat my morning cornflakes, just like so many others.

No comments: