July 24, 2007

Dairy free

Eating dairy free makes me hungry. Suddenly I'm not eating enough protein. It took me hours yesterday, going over my food dairy, trying to work out why I am almost chewing off my own leg with hunger. I don't eat that much meat, it's always too much effort or I don't feel like it. I'd love to be vegetarian, but I couldn't do it all the time. Bacon, for instance, is much too tasty.

Today I am going to try try try to eat the right amount of protein and trytrytry to get some easy to grab snacks for the dairy free/wheat free cupcake on the go. Yesterdays snack was corn thins with Tofutti's Better than Cream Cheese however it contains maltodextrin. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer to the "can gluten intolerants eat maltodextrin?" If anyone out there knows, please tell me!

Despite the possible gluten in it, Better Than Cream Cheese gets 10/10. It's a little solider than normal cream cheese, so either soften it a little first or take care when spreading. It has slightly more flavour too, which is great since I still need to finish those annoying cardboard Brown Rice Thins. It also lasts longer than a tub of normal cream cheese.

Bonsoy is also another good buy if you're looking for soy. My natropath recommended it and I agree. It doesn't try to be anything but what it is - which isn't milk. It's a darker, more beige colour, it has a nuttier taste which is fantastic in hot cocoa with honey, and, well, it's made by Japanese soy masters. Do soy masters have a code they live by? A uniform? it may be a silly reason to be drinking a type of soy milk but it gives minutes of speculation each time I drink it.

No comments: