July 27, 2007

Restaurant Review - The European

The European was chosen for dinner with my mother and sister last night because it is next to the Princess Theatre where we were going to see The Phantom of the Opera (which was excellent).

I booked the day before and interrogated the unlucky person who answered the phone. "Can/Do you cater to wheat and dairy intolerances?" "Do you have room for a wheel chair?" (Mother has a broken ankle and is in a wheelchair with one leg sticking out the front.)

Get to the restaurant and fall in love with the decor and ambience and the nice man who handed me the wine list. Temparillo by the glass was very tasty. The wheelchair was easily fitted in at the table (though it was a close call getting through the doors and not hitting other patrons).

The food was European inspired, not surprisingly considering the name of the restaurant, and while they could cater for the gluten/dairy intolerant, they didn't do it particularly well in my opinion. Since I was there a little early and the man who'd offered me wine was lurking around I asked him what I could have. A brief check with the kitchen later and I had a list of many fish dishes (not my favourite thing), a lot of things minus something that would bulk out the meal, or wagyu beef (just because mother is paying doesn't mean I should break the bank!). He also suggested they could make the mushroom and truffle oil risotto dairy free but, of course, without the three cheeses in it it wouldn't be the same but would still be tasty.
Since I'm not that big a fan of meat at the moment, I decided on that. Only to have our actual waiter (an abrupt girl) question my choice, saying that it wouldn't be that good.

Well, it was pretty tasty! But it is hard to fail with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil. Yes, it was more like mushrooms and rice than a risotto, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

6/10
Everyone else loved their food, even if it was a little long in coming, and the wine was great. But for gluten/dairy intolerants? Not so great. If you eat meat and dairy you're set, but only if you're prepared to have (for example) duck terrine without the brioche. For vegetarians, even those who can eat dairy and gluten, pickings are slim.

Next time I need a pre-theatre meal? I'll try the Indian place around the corner, less ambient, no wine list, but I'll be able to EAT!

No comments: