July 18, 2007

Product review: The Gluten Free Bakery

It's been awhile, and for no good reason either. I've been sewing up a storm which I wish I could show off on here, but that of course is waiting for the digital camera. Hopefully soon!

Pies, sausage rolls, pastry. These are my weakness. On the two month gluten challenge, The Philosopher and I would spend over $50 at our local bakery each week. I miss the convenience of a frozen pie or sausage roll. I miss the taste.
I've been going through the frozen section of the Gluten Free Shop and have decided my current winner, for both pies and sausage rolls, is The Gluten Free Bakery.

The sausage roll:
I defrosted them slightly in the microwave before baking and this caused the bottom of the pastry to come off. I just put the sausage roll on the bakign tray upside down and placed the broken pastry on top. It turns out that wasn't really necessary as all the pastry basically fell off when I put it onto the plate. Despite this - there was definately that familiar flavour in the sausage part. The pastry was a tad dry, but I added no sauce to it, but perfectly adequate. Add a bit of sauce and voila in my opinion. Couldn't be taken away in a bag like a sausage roll from 7/11 and I definately recommend not eating it on the couch, because of the pastry, but on a plate at a table.
7.5/10

The pie:
I've tried other frozen gluten free pies. The only one I can recall being the Silly Yak's pie. I remember it being nice, but not that traditional pie taste. The Gluten Free Bakery pies have that taste. The pastry is a little more solid than the sausage roll pastry, though the pie does come in a foil pie case. My only cooking issue was that the meat starting leaking out of the top of the pie. I recommend a baking tray, not doing what lazy-me does and just putting the foil straight onto the oven bars.
8.5/10

Best thing? They can in multiple packs and were ~$4 or so for the pie and slightly less for the sausage roll. Can't recall precisely, but they were cheaper than the other alternatives!

Aside:
Jarrah hot chocolates seem to be gluten free! They are not labelled as such, but the ingrediants list seems fine and more importantly I feel fine and I've had one a day for the last week. Instant hot chocolate goodness in the freezing winter weather = awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best gluten free pies and sausage rolls I have tasted are newly available from Patties (in conjunction with Uncle Bens bakery). They taste as good as the ones I used to eat before being diagnosed with gluten intolerance. You can get them in packs of 2, plus they make party pies as well. YUM!
I also love the jarrah hot chocoalte, and I agree it appears to be gluten free. Hooray!
With awareness of coeliac disease and gluten intolerance on the rise the amount and range of gluten free convenience foods available is also on the increase.