July 5, 2007

Product review - Orgran Gluten Free Custard Powder

This is something that has been hanging around my cupboard for months now. It was one of the first things I bought when the natropath suggested a gluten free diet. Bought from one of the Mother Earth healthfood stores, it was a real surprise to find, because the front of the store is so full of vitamins and supplements that I thought that that was all they did. But behind all of that is quite a large variety of specialty foods, including awesome rice crackers and other snacks. So if you're stuck for food in the middle of Melbourne, try Mother Earth. There's one at the Flinders St end of Elizabeth St.

But back to the custard. Out of the packet, it looked like custard powder, a promising sign. 3 tbsp for a thick custard it suggested. Sounds good. Gradually stir in 500ml of milk or milk substitute. I ended up with 1 1/2 cups of skim milk, 5/8th cups of Bonsoy and a smidge of water. Milk is mostly water, so I don't think this will alter much. Add 1 tbsp of sugar or sugar substitute. Again, I had to use a mix, this time of brown and white sugar. Oh well, I thought. It may be a little more caramely than normal. Mix mix mix.
It's yellow.
Hey honey, come and look at my yellow custard before I cook it! I say.
Hehe! he says. Yellow!
Microwave for 4 minutes then stir well. Oh my god is it yellow. Hmm the "skin" around the edge is kinda plasticy.
Microwave for a couple more minutes until you reach the desired consistency. I did mine for about another minute and then mixed well.

Oh my god is it yellow. Crayola yellow/gold actually. And the consistency isn't unlike what you'd imagine a melted down crayon would taste like. It's not BAD, but I think I want to have it with something else. I still have most of the packet left, so next time I will try it without the added tbsp for extra thickness.
The Philosopher stared at it in bemusement. And only hesitantly accepted a taste. Meh, it tastes okay but like crayons. No prompting was made. He got to crayons all on his own.

The morning after, looking at the container of leftover custard, oh my god is it yellow. And solid. Like plasticine. Haven't reheated it yet, though it was easy to pull a piece off to munch on. Custard bar? Not sure the rubbery-ness will catch on.

I don't think I'll buy this again. Definately too yellow!

No comments: