July 4, 2007

Once upon a time there was a girl and boy, curled up under quilts, peacefully asleep.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

A sleepy arm pokes at the alarm clock until the noise stops. The arm retreats from the cold and resnuggles into the warmth.

DO DE DOOP BE BEEP BOP BEEP.

A mobile phone buzzes angrily. With a sigh the girl hauls herself out of bed and turns it off. Stumbling around the house, she find the kitchen and stares blearily into the pantry in search of breakfast. Planet Organic Rice Porridge.
"Mmmm warm porridge with honey and cinnamon," she thinks. "That will warm me up!"
Put 50g of porridge into a saucepan with 375ml of milk or water.
"I have to measure!" she wails. "It's early!" But having made a decision, she must continue. Grumbling she finds the kitchen scales and the measuring cup. She pours the Bonsoy, weighs the organic brown rice flakes mixed with millet flakes. She remembers that the stove works much better when turned on. Stir stir stir for five minutes while reading a book and drinking juice and becoming more alert. Finally it is done.

The rammekin is filled, the almond slivers and cinnamon sprinkled on, the honey drizzled. She takes a bite. Mmmm. Warm and filling and one of the definitive tastes of winter.

Planet Organic Rice Porridge is awesome. But is a little longer than my general morning routine will allow. I would love it to have tablespoon or cup measurements rather than grams and mls. I'm sure I could use them instead, but I'm afraid to improvise as I might lose the porridgey consistency. If you actually have time for a proper breakfast, this is awesome.
Now I just need to work out how to make it into some form of breakfast cookie or muffin or bar or slice that I can take places.... hmm.... I really miss oats sometimes

No comments: