July 30, 2007

The Gluten Glooms

It's Friday, work is done, the world is my oyster (at least until Monday) and I excitedly head off to the pub with the gang for dinner and catching up. I didn't worry about what I could and couldn't eat - I'd eaten there during my full on natropath restriction diet, surely there will be something. I was wrong.

Well, not wrong. I'd just forgotten that when I'd eaten there before I'd eaten steak with no sauce and lettuce with vinegar. And since I've gone off big slabs of meat lately, that was out. What was left? I was tempted by nachos, which would be tasty even without cheese or sour cream but luckily I checked what flavour of corn chips they used - cheese flavoured. Who on earth uses flavoured corn chips for nachos? *sigh*
Result? Rather than eating a packet of potato chips (again) and drinking some coke, I drove off to find food and found sushi.

Lucky I did as it gave me a chance to stock up on things like soy milk for our trip to Gippsland to see The Philosophers parents, who are great, feed me well, but don't have soy milk. His father made me chicken risotto at the restaurant, which was great and not even altered from the way they normally do it. But in my mind risotto needs the butter and cheese to be risotto. Otherwise it's just rice and stuff.

So, while lamb roast with veges made by a mother is great and eating a "normal" dish in a restaurant is good (especially when you know the chef is aware of what's going on), it's also great to have lunch while you're out and about shopping. And there is nothing more depressing than a waiter coming back to sadly say that the meal you asked about suddenly isn't as gluten free as they thought. THEN when you explain the issue they suggest a nice glass of water. OOooooo I wanted to do bad things to that trendy smiling waiter. I had french fries, which in general most celiacs avoid due to cross contamination but, well, better a hot thing than a cold, dressing-less salad. I then went to the supermarket and bought a banana.

And for all you movie lovers - according to a manager who is gluten intolerant at MidValley Village Cinemas in Gippsland, their popcorn is GLUTEN FREE! Not dairy free though, but you can't have everything. Which is great considering yet again they advertised Snakatas but didn't have any. Bastards!

No comments: