July 11, 2007

Healtheries: Simple Chocolate Fudge Steamed Puddings

Running late for work today forced breakfast to the backburner until morning tea time, by which point I felt I deserved a treat. Searching the health food aisle in the local supermarket not only found me a different flavour of rice wheels (also by Healtheries) which I'll try later, but steamed pudding.
The Philosopher has not let me get these before since, well, they are a dessert and I'm trying to eat well. But he's not here, is he? mwahahahaha.

It was nearly $5 for the twin pack of pudding. Once out of the cardboard wrap the puddings looked like every other version of microwavable steamed pudding I've seen. Plastic cup with cakey stuff in it with a foil lid. No labels or logos or anything to say it's GF (which may be an issue if you're in a place where normal steamed puddings might be, as this one will look like all the others), which I think is great because eating GF shouldn't be such a drama.
40 seconds in the microwave. Mmmm..... Can't smell much due to a cold, but it looks pretty great. The taste - a bit overly sweet in the sauce but that's common in steamed puddings where they assume you'll have cream or icecream with it. The cake is slightly drier than its "normal" counterpart but again, something easily remedied by a shot of cream or ice cream. Or even custard maybe.

4/5 points for this treat, only losing a point because I have fond memories of my mothers Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding.

No comments: