July 9, 2007

The Sunnybrook Healthfood Store has been mentioned on here by me before. It's online presence is as The Gluten Free Shop and they deliver Australia wide. But I, luckily enough, actually discovered physically first. I used to drive past them every day and then one day, about two months after I'd been diagnosed, I suddenly saw the big gluten free sign in their window.
How did I miss it? The shop is bright yellow and a double shop front. The sign is across an entire shop window.

I immediately demanded the Philosopher take me there. Now. And so he did and oh what fun! It's like a supermarket, it's that big inside. And they have everything an allergy sufferer could want. An entire aisle of biscuits and cakes and slices for instance! A freezer packed with pies, sausage rolls, tarts, frozen meals, the works. Even gluten free vege burgers! They have the range of gluten free beers.

They also have a huge selection of organic and natural products. Like green friendly cleaning products, shampoos, etc etc. I picked up some organic herbal throat lozenges. They actually taste okay, though not like candy like most throat lozenges. And they work! Hurray! I can speak again!

The staff are really great and helpful. They have a the range of gluten free flours, xantham gum, imported bread products. Check them out in North Road, Ormond, right near the station, there's parking available right behind the store though.

And for those of you in the Richmond/Abbotsford area, there's a little cafe at the Punt Rd end of Victoria St. It's possibly called the Victoria Cafe (or not, I have no idea) that had gluten free friands. In two different flavours! Makes my day when I find places that I can drop into for a snack where they understand the whole gluten free concept.

No comments: