July 23, 2007

Sausage Rolls and Corn Thins

Ooops. Apparently the sausage rolls I ate last post were actually from Gluten Free Gourmet, not the Gluten Free Bakery. They are the party sausage rolls pack of 9, but since they're joined in 3's I just ate a normal sized sausage roll. I ate another last night and microwaved it to defrost it a little. Most of the pastry came off. Next time I'll try and be more patient and let it defrost naturally.

This week I'm challenging myself by not eating dairy or caffeine. My sinuses are acting up again and last night I felt like I'd been glutenized. I was completely zoned out and fuzzy. Definately no gluten had been eaten though! So having heard vague rumours that dairy can affect sinuses, I'm testing the theory. And I should drink less caffeine anyway.

My food phase of the moment is Corn Thins. Everyone has this thing against rice cakes it seems in the gluten free community. I have nothing against rice cakes. I just like corn thins better. But either rice or corn, these gluten free cakes are fantastic when topped with cheese, tomato, fresh basil, maybe a slice of ham and then put under the griller.
This is especially good when you pick up Real Foods brown rice wholegrain thins instead of Real Foods Multigrain Corn Thins. Brown rice thins are the reason rice cakes have such a bad reputation and if bought, should be eaten with toppings that scream flavour. Corn thins can cope with the subtle flavours of cream cheese. Rice thins? may as well just eat the thing dry as you're not going to taste the cream cheese at all.

No comments: