June 6, 2007

With only one week to go of eating gluten, I thought I would be sad about losing so many foods, but all I'm thinking about is how I can make things myself to be gluten free. Asian Coconut cake? It's only flour, coconut, sugar and oil according to the pack, so surely rice flour could fix that. I would stop eating gluten now if I could despite the ease of eating I've had lately. It's almost because of that ease that I can't wait to go back to gluten free. Eating is so simple that I give it no thought. I'm perfectly happy eating toast every meal rather than experimenting and making an effort for the sake of nutrition.

In a week I say goodbye to processed foods, almost completely. For the first two weeks back off the gluten I shall even be saying goodbye to sugar, something that I have become to need with the same urgency as a cocaine addict over the last two months. I wonder if any other gluten intolerants have this problem?

I am looking forward now. Looking forward to becoming healthy again. Looking forward to being excited about food again. Looking forward to everything that has become grey and dull because of gluten.

Todays menu: mac and cheese.
Easily made into gluten-free by using gluten free pasta, this recipe I vaguely made up last night and it needs a touch more work. Probably a stronger flavoured cheese too!

1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
40g butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour (or thickener of choice)
Grated cheese (I used about a cup of low fat colby. Low fat does not melt very well and colby got lost in this so I had a vagely cheesey goo. Still tasty, but not exciting at all).

Cook some pasta in a pot. Drain.
Melt butter in a small pot. Add the flour and stir til pale and foaming. Take off the heat and slowly add the milk, stirring after each addition. Return to heat and stir continuously until it boils and thickens. Take off the heat again, cool slightly and add the egg. Add cheese, mix.

I decided on baked mac and cheese, so I put the pasta in a baby lasagne dish and poured on the sauce, sprinkled with more cheese and some breadcrumbs and baked from about 15-20min.

Recommendations? next time I'd put maybe some parmesan or feta in as well to give it a boost.

No comments: