June 12, 2007

The end comes

I finally did it. I called the blood testing people and sorted out going there. This week. Come Monday I'll be detoxing and hopefully getting rid of the headache/sinusache that has plagued me for a week. I cannot wait.

Part of the cannot wait feeling came from two eatings on the weekend. One was a leisurely, decadent second breakfast before my pottery class. Friends had gotten together to buy a birthday present and we'd found ourselves in Oakleigh, near the station, the land of Jewish bakeries. But, being a Saturday, none were open. So we went to a very generic little cafe (which I can't remember the name of) and had underdone pancakes which were adequate and rather nice coffee. But what really grabbed me was their VEGETARIAN gluten free section of the breakfast menu and the choice of THREE types of luscious looking gluten free cakes in the glass case. *bounce* True, it is a little out of my way but for an actual choice in food? It's not THAT far out of my way.

The second thing? Was homemade and not actually gluten free but could be if we used dahl or rice flour as the recipe suggests. My lovely boy made me roti, Vietnamese style. Vietnamese roti apparently have coconut in them, so the dough was flour, dessicated coconut, water and a bit of oil for cooking. That's it. Into my scanpan frypan on hothothot and these were fabulous. Reminiscent of galettes, the savoury French crepe, but thicker and more substantial even without curry on top, I have two bits for have with my lunch today.

Looking at recipes for my return to GF cooking, I am scared at the number of flours people regularly use. Sure, they're all bloggers and very into their foodz, but a recipe with FOUR different kinds of flour? SomethingInSeason posted sometime ago a recipe for a ginger cake that he had altered from his original post. The alteration? He removed all the flours except for brown rice flour. I then made muffins (still being tweaked, recipe to come) from this recipe. Could anyone tell that I'd only used brown rice flour? No. I think that I shall be avoiding potato starch, bean flour, and the many other flours. I live aroudn the corner from a tiny little Indian grocery. They have rice flour, chickpea flour and *fingers crossed* hopefully dahl flour too. That should do me, surely.

No comments: