June 4, 2007

In the beginning....

Today marks the final week countdown of my gluten eating challenge. Before these past two months I hadn't eaten gluten in nearly 6 months, as soon as a natropath suggested I had an allergy after weeks of restriction diet testing. I saw my doctor (eventually) and asked him about getting tested. He basically told me there's not much point, as the only result will be to not eat gluten which I'm doing anyway and feeling better. He saw no point in making me feel bad to formally get tested, but I had to know. I had to know if the first doctor I saw was right, and that sleeping so much was normal. That I was just unlucky and had a run of sinus infections, had colds all the time and was almost bipolar in my moodiness.

7 weeks into the 8 weeks of eating gluten. How do I feel? Much better than I thought I would, which scares me. I thought I'd be having many more 'stomach upsets' to put it politely. Nope. Nothing really. My boy tells me I am much moodier though. And our sex life has become nonexistant. Which apparently can be linked.
I'm also finding myself unable to think of foods beyond high sugar, high carbohydrates. I'll eat other foods if I'm given them but given the option I'll eat toast, rolls, pies, donuts, churros, chinese steamed buns over everything else.

One of the articles on this site here mentions that if you are depressed due to a food allergy, you are likely to continue to eat that food. Basically so you feel less depressed because you're that much more depressed.

Conclusion? As much as I've enjoyed not having to worry about gluten. Being able to go to Chinatown and eat without having to try and explain gluten to people who don't speak english. I've enjoyed churros with chocolate dipping sauce (though I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the espresso glass of chocolate once I'm off the gluten again) and bread rolls. But in the end none of this stuff tastes as good as I thought it would. The only reason currently to keep eating gluten is social. My boy is happy for me to be gluten free and have a gluten free house. My mother is a nurse and very supportive when I'm there. The boy's father owns a pizza restaurant (sadly 2 hours drive away) and he makes a fantastic pizza with rice flour that I must get the recipe for.

In the end there are too many things I'm missing out on right now because of gluten. Donuts with sprinkles and peking duck with pancakes are great but I'd rather be in the moment enough to enjoy them.

No comments: