June 18, 2007

Finnegan Begin Again

Today is the day! The new day! The beginning (again) of a new era! Very excited. Today is the first gluten free day. Again.

Today is also my first day of the South Beach diet's two week "phase 1" detox. Why am I doing this? To get rid of my need for sugary gluteny wonderfulness. This part of the South Beach Diet was designed to get rid of cravings for all those empty calories in things like white bread, so I thought I'd make it work for me. And despite the wonder of my friends about what I shall eat, there are many options. I can have meat, veges and dairy. That's really it. I can have artificial sweetener but I'm going to try not as it's not good stuff.

The menu for today? I started with scrambled eggs with some tasty cheese. There was also going to be sauteed mushrooms in balsamic vinegar but it was early, so I had a carrot while driving instead. My hot water with lemon was thrown away when I found out how much coffee taste had remained in the travel mug. Watered down lemon flavoured coffee is not all that great.
Lunch was made by my lovely boy, a taco salad. No corn chips sadly, but a bowl of homemade chilli topped with fresh salad? I cannot wait.

Yesterday was also special because we went to the market. The Prahran Market is full of goodies to try and eat and while I will pout now that I can't have some of the fabulous looking homemade pastas and Italian breads, there is so much there! cranberry nougat was awesome but beaten in the end by the mocha nougat. Garlic dip, a zillion types of pesto. Even a bakery that does rice flour bread so my friends and I can have the big breakfast at the market together. Nothing is as decadent as going out for a big breakfast at the market, listening to the jazz band, watching all the people.

The Essential Ingrediant. Another traditional stop in our market wanderings, this place makes me drool. I love buying kitchen things and this place has the expensive, ultimate ones. That's all I shall say or I may convince myself I really do need a KitchenAid mixer, blender and coffee maker, as well as new cutlery and a flan dish. *sigh*

The Philosopher's Lazy Chilli:
Beef mince
Burrito seasoning
Onion
Garlic
Balsamic Vinegar
can of mixed beans

cook, mix, eat is pretty much the method here. We often add a touch more cumin that is in the seasoning. And, of course, pick your packet seasoning with care as many contain evil-gluten, or make your own!
Uses: many! Makes an awesome toasted sandwich with a bit of cheese. With rice a warm hearty dinner. Wrapped in a tortilla, inside a taco. Or what Philosopher's do when in the midst of serious thinking - microwave and eat out of the container.

No comments: