February 12, 2009

Using up all of my rice


110209Lbento
Originally uploaded by moonshae
I'm moving house in two days and am slowly trying to use up things. Like the last couple of cups of rice in the containers. In the photo you see my first ever fried rice. Conclusion? It's fine. Just some random veges, some bacon, tamari and some garlic. I ate it for lunch and while not disgusted by it, I'm not enthused. I am not a fried rice fan. Though it was really quick and used up stuff.

But my other creation with rice was pretty great, though needs tweaking. I wanted coconut rice, but I'd already made the rice and I'd already eaten dinner. So rice pudding. I googled rice pudding with cooked rice and made a thing inspired by the top two results.

Cooked rice (I used a combo of white and brown), about 1-1.5 cups
Milk - less than a cup
Coconut milk - 165ml (a little tin)
sugar - about 1/3 of a cup (a bit much for me)
Cinnamon
Dried cranberries

First thing ingrediants were put in a pot on a highish temperature until boiling, then reduce to a simmer. Add cinnamon (I would have added nutmeg and a few things if I'd had them) and cranberries. Simmer til thick.

Next time I think I'll either add more milk (I used about a third what most of the recipes did) and possibly add some cream. I had this for breakfast and found it a bit sweet. The Boy had half and found it great, which is weird since he's usually not a sweet fan. It needs more creaminess in my opinion, and maybe instead of sugar while cooking it needs a drizzle of honey or maple syrup when serving instead. But still pretty good!

In the bottom left of the lunch above is some tandoori marinated tofu I found in the supermarket. Yum! I'm not sure if it tasted tandoori but it was still darned tasty. I just plonked it in my frypan until browned and chopped it up. It was very tasty cold in my bento and nice but weird for dinner with hot chips (cleaning out the freezer, I swear!).

No comments: