February 25, 2009

Still alive!

I'm still alive, just haven't been up to much that's exciting except unpacking and stuff like that. I did do a asian grocery shop and found..... GF peking duck breast!! *happy dance*
I also made this http://www.grouprecipes.com/55939/savoury-sweet-glutinous-sticky-rice.html, some sticky rice to great success. I have really missed yum cha and this stuff is VERY similar to the stuff normally found wrapped in bamboo leaves. I changed the recipe by not having chinese sausage (wheat gluten curses) and adding some chinese five spice powder (read the label! Two out of three brands had flour in) and YUM! I've got some in the freezer so hopefully it wins the "can it be frozen and then shoved in the bento for lunch" challenge.

Also, in a blatant attempt to promote her site, Not Exactly Bento is having a competion - http://notexactlybento.com/?p=1289. And I'm mentioning it in a blatant attempt to win a bento box because I want a new one. The site is also worth a look if you don't feel hungry and want to get hungry really quick! The mardi gras cake on the competition page? *drool*

2 comments:

Speak Any Language said...

You might like to take a look at my GF Steamed Chinese Buns movie on you tube. A lady on YouTube came up with the idea of piping your soft gf mixes onto trays for baking. I thought why not steaming? It actually works!

moonshae said...

They look great! I hate buying so many types of flour though so I think I'll try with a bread mix. *happy dance* steamed buns again! THankyou!