February 5, 2009

Combining my current obsessions


InsideBentoBag
Originally uploaded by moonshae
While I love making and eating my bento lunch, I didn't want to feel like a 5 year old walking to the park to eat it everyday. Yes, my bento box has a bag with a handle, but why not paint an L for loser on my head and be done with it? So I made myself a new handbag! Yay! It was soooo quick. The longest part was all the paper cutting making the right size pattern that would fit the essentials - bento, book, wallet, keys, other keys, etc. And now I have a very usable prototype. The pocket on the outside needs work, and I want some sort of top closure, but I'm loving the soft cord fabric.

And since I had a COMMENT! on this blog, which means someone is reading it (which I never realised *wave*) I thought I'd talk about my latest experiment in cooking GF.
Last night I had the cooking urge. I cooked for nearly 2 hours from the moment I came home. Crazy, yes? But it was pretty tasty. Still a work in progress though. I made faux onion bhaji and fried tofu....
All I did was mince a couple of serving spoons of chickpea flour (also known as besam or gram flour) with some salt, pepper and a pinch of cumin with enough water to make a paint like consistency. Mixed in a diced onion and dropped spoons of it into about an inch of oil I'd heated in my wok*.
Result? Tasty if you like raw onion. Which the Boy, the Housemate and I do, luckily. We also thought more flavour would be good so maybe next time I'll fry up the onions in some indian style spices beforehand.

The tofu I just dipped into some chickpea flour and fried in the same oil. I liked it! Needs a dipping sauce of some sort, maybe sweet chilli, but definately not bad at all if I do say so myself.

I have some of each today in my lunchbox so here's hoping it works okay for lunch or I'm spending my last $5 on sushi for lunch.

In GF food news, I am LOVING the Food For Health Gluten Free muesli (http://www.foodforhealth.com.au/). I've had it for two weeks practically every day and I'm not sick of it yet. Lots of seeds though, so you might have to spare some extra attention on your teeth brushing each morning, but well worth it for a GF muesli that's not cardboard (Freedom Foods) or so solid you nearly break a tooth (Whisk and Pin - watch out for those smoked almonds!). I found it at my local Woolworths for about $8.

No comments: