January 20, 2009

Too hot to live


190109bento
Originally uploaded by moonshae
It's summer. As in, actually hot, sunny and pretty. It's going to be 37C today. Yesterday was about that too. Hot weather doesn't agree with me this year. Generally I suck it up okay, just keep plodding onward daydreaming of gray autumn days but this year no such luck. Bad dreams, broken sleep patterns and today my stomach hates me too. This I blame on summer as well. It feels related to the heat somehow. Insane, but that's what I'm feeling.

This week is the week before Arc (Arcanacon). This is my last year as a helper/organiser and I'm glad that I'm more of an advisor and helper than organiser. Last year I took a week off work and spent the four days of the convention working 18 hour days and eating not much beyond plain potato chips.
This year? I'm bento-ing! Which is kind of scary since it means I'll be bentoing 8 lunches and 4 dinners in a row. I have to make it to next Monday without buying a full meal because I'm challenging myself dammit! Also, I'm broke, but the con would feed me if I wanted. But fragile tummy says grr at gluten and my giant butt says eat more chocolate. But my bento box is lovely and full of mostly healthy things. Hurrah!

I spent the last couple of days doing preparations for the busy time ahead. Not only is all my washing done but I went WAY over my grocery budget knowing that I won't be eating out at all as well as need to eat for two weeks off one shop instead of two. My bentos won't be particularly varied, but they'll be tasty.
Bento-able items that are frozen/prepacked/easy include:
::coconut crackers (GF! made with taro and coconut)

::mochi (red bean and chestnut flavours)

::wasabi peas and roasted broad beans (I've even split them into ziplock bags so I don't eat them all at once)

::rice (frozen in packs as per Lunch in a Box instructions

::chicken hot pot (still haven't made more, this recipe must feed 6 or more, so I froze portions in my new silicon cups and then moved them to a tupperware. I have some today, we'll see how defrosting in my bento box goes)

::mini burgers (Safeway now stock gluten free hamburgers! There's a flavoured one with some zing to it but all they had on the weekend was plain, but they're pretty good. I quartered each and reshaped them into burgers, cooked and then froze them in foil. The Boy intends to steal some while I'm so busy.)

::many grapes and some cherries

::carrot sticks. Boring but necessary for those vegetable needs! I chopped a tonne so I can grab and go. Hopefully this will prevent "I don't have time to eat my vegetables!"

::Dip! Hummus with cashews which sounds interesting. Hopefully it will liven up my carrot sticks and whatever other veges I can find in the crisper.

::Laughing cow cheese wedges and Baby bels. Baby bel swiss cheese in yellow wax! tasty though i think I'll miss the red wax. Red is more fun to play with somehow (yes I am crazy).

::Lasagne. I froze 2 serves of lasagne the other day. Homemade with San Remo pasta sheets, lots of shredded zucchini and spinach. I really recommend the Sam Remo GF pasta range actually, they do need to be stirred while cooking to prevent a big clump (oil in the cooking water doesn't seem to help too much, but a stir or two in the first couple of minutes of cooking does the trick). Best of all, the lasagne sheets are a "normal" size, unlike the only other ones I've seen around by Ogran, which are mini sized and annoying.

So I won't starve. I might be a little bored by Tuesday but hopefully all that snack variety will keep things interesting.

No comments: