August 2, 2007

Gluten free baking frenzy

Freedom Foods Lemon Cake Mix:
This gets a big thumbs up for being cheap. It's a supermarket (Woolworths) brand without gluten or yeast. It also doesn't need many additives to make it, just 2 eggs and some water. They do recommend you beat it with an electric beater though. The mix smells very lemony and the batter looks like a normal cake batter and tastes pretty good too. The cake is current cooling so a taste test will have to happen tomorrow.

Basco All Purpose gluten free flour:
this stuff has been sitting in my cupboard since i got the diagnosis. It's been the thickener in my bechamel sauce and the like, but I haven't branched out enough to try the options on the back of the packet yet - muffins and pizza bases. Since the Crust Pizza Bar debacle, I decided to give it a try.
Mixing it up was fine but then I had to knead it. It is gooey and sticky and does not like being kneaded. Luckily I had some more flour around to help but I think next time I'd try and do it without "kneading til smooth" and see how it went. I made 1 pizza base and am currently enjoying it thoroughly topped with tomato, garlic, cheese and fresh herbs. It's definately a rice pizza base but give a definate crunch and you can actually pick up a slice without it flopping everywhere. It doesn't brown too much on the top though, so I recommend lifting it up every so often to check the base.
Instead of making 2 pizza bases as the pack suggested, I threw the rest of my "pizza dough" into well greased muffin tins. I know how dinner rolls! I just tried one hot out of the oven with a smear of butter and Oh My God Good. I'm not sure how they'll stand up in the long run and I'm expecting them to go stale tasting quickly, but that's what freezers are for.

Is this the Australian answer to the Pamela's Baking Mix all the American bloggers go on about?

No comments: