November 17, 2007

It's been a little while of me eating the same old things again and again. I admit to eating a packet or more of corn thins a week. Every workday lunch is the same - corn thins, laughing cow cheese, salad and ham or tuna. Yum. If you haven't tried corn thins yet, try! Cheaper than gluten free bread and lower in calories, they rock. Grilled tomato and cheese on corn thin for breakfast is my days plan!

U8 bakeries can do no wrong it seems. Another gingerbread bit the crumb this week and it was as good as the last. Yesterday I finally managed to be different and got a melting moment. Oh. My. God! I am glad that there was only one otherwise I'd be holed up with the packet muttering 'my precious' they are that good. The icing all flaked off on the ride home but that just meant i could 'drink' icing out of the packet. Damn good icing too.
10/10!!

Chocobars I may have mentioned before. These are basically one big Kit Kat finger. They're often on sale for $1 and on the counter at Sunnybrook so they often accidentally fall in my box.
8/10

No idea what my next item is called... It's a lollipop shaped like a chupachup but it's made of manuka honey with a dollop of cherry flavouring. Yum! Honey freaks like me should line up. I bought about 10 yesterday and they are looking forward to our weekend away next week.

Mesa Flakes. Like corn flakes but with added other grains these things are FAB. A bit thicker than the average gluten cornflake and more healthy and filling feeling. I bought 2 boxes!
9/10


Gluten Free Gourmet Hedgehog slice. Yet another sweet thing but this one deserves a mention. This is in no way like the hedgehog that I remember. It had a top layer of icing that was more chocolate ganache in texture (or maybe it melted, it was hot yesterday). The base is more like fudge than a slice. Disgustingly rich and moreish, I kept going back for just one more sliver. I couldn't help it! While I want to take marks off for being unslicelike and therefore false advertising I can't. I just want more. Definately something to share amongst many friends.
8/10

I finally went back to Crust this week. They have REALLY upped their game. The staff now warn about traces of gluten in things like the ham (though, really, if you need to worry about that you shouldn't order from a place that does normal pizza too) and in the BBQ sauce. Yay! Their bases are now made of mostly rice flour (I think) rather than bean flour which is only a good thing in terms of taste and structure.
I was a bit disapointed to find my BBQ chicken pizza to have no sauce or possibly a bbq sauce that was so mild as to barely exist. I plan on adding some GF bbq sauce to the leftovers and see how it goes. Well I should think.
I ranted about Crust before but they have definately gotten good! I can now say "Pizza ahoy!" for all you gluten free people in Melbourne and wherever else Crust deliver. Next time I plan to get all gluten free pizzas and see if anyone notices. I have a feeling that they won't.

No comments: