October 22, 2007

Good intentions and all of that

I never made it to the Gluten Free Food Expo, which is sad. I justified it at the time by saying that it would add hours to my day and most of them would be sleeping hours that I sorely needed this weekend. So I stayed curled up in bed. I only feel bad because I missed samples. It's expensive buying a whole packet of something only to find out you hate it!

On Sunday I went to mother's house for lunch. She had bought a new gluten free book and was making things out of it and was so proud of herself for making it all. We had beef and red wine casserole with green beans and creamy mashed potato. Everyone else had some AWESOME looking pane di casa to mop up the tasty juices. I didn't *sob*
Then there was dark moist flourless chocolate cake with double cream, strawberries and some champagne strawberry sauce. Twitchingly delicious.

On the way home I started to feel the sings. My brain started to go foggy, my vision backed up a few metres (making it hard to read road signs let me tell you!), flatulence, pressure in my ears and head. I'd been glutened. And I couldn't tell mother! She tried so hard! I guess I'll talk to her about it later but not now - not when she's so proud of it all.

Possibilities:
Stock in the stew or potatoes, something in the potatoes as they were creamy with other stuff besides potato, the icing sugar dusted on the cake (though it was checked), crumbs from the bread got onto/into something.
It can't have been much because after a lie down on the couch, a cup of tea and some mental focus I managed to break through the brain fog. My stomach is feeling a little fragile, but nothing major. It's sad what you become used to.
And maybe I am just sick. Maybe it's the flu or something. That's the trouble with gluten! Gluten poisoning or flu or stomach bug?
Definately have to borrow the book though. The food was very tasty and seemed easy to do for guests which is always a plus. Stay tuned for that...

This week I'm paring down the food. Back to basics for my stomach, my weight and my wallet. No going out for food. More fresh foods. Nothing too unfamiliar. But this morning as I settle down at the table for breakfast with my favourite Basco cereal (the apricot one) and my black tea with milk (Soy Milky Lite. gluten free right on the label) I don't feel so bad about that.

2 comments:

Real Tears said...

Hello, I say the stock or some bread crumbs.

I know that total detox you have after eating gluten! I go really hardcore after I have eaten some.

I went to the show. I hate expos, but it was pretty good. I sampled some salt and vinegar chips. And I bought a baking tin. Apparently we missed some really good party pies.

I was lining up for the tickets and I heard a woman say that people who eat gluten free are all just fussy whingers. I gave her the filthiest look and she said Oh I am just joking.. yeah right.

Well this is a large comment - sorry postwhore. Like your blog.

moonshae said...

I'm lucky to have friends who all have family members with some allergy or another. I read so many comments on the internet about how gluten intolerants are just jumping on the new version of carb free diets.
Let them feel our pain!

Definately wasn't breadcrumbs, mother keeps rice crumbs for me at her place. No idea what brand. Kind of... mushier than bread crumbs. Not awful but not like the original at all.